Let's face it, life runs fast, we are all super busy and sometimes it feels like there is no end in our "to do lists", so from time to time we all need a space to simply recover, a place that we can call our own and where we can find some peace, even if it is for a small period of time, and even if it is just a small corner... but a place where even if for a moment we can get back to some kind of calm and unwind.
2. Add a few PLANTS, green always help to clear the space and give positive energy. If for some reason you can't have any real plants (allergies, pets...) don't worry, look at the mug on the top of our image above, it is so vibrant and beautiful it brings you a positive happy feeling too. So as an alternative add some elements with plant images, it can be on some art on the walls, some cushions, a lamp, a journal or a mug, the sky is the limit.
3. SUNSHINE does wonders. Ideally an area with lots of sunshine is best but if your space does not have a window or if in some seasons is simply not sunny, you can recreate some sunshine by adding a warm paint color on your walls or adding elements that brings you a happy sunny feeling, they might remind you of a beach or a happy summer time.
Colors that help achieve this are warm yellows, salmon, coral, cream, butter, pumpkin, tan, sand, and even some browns like in this comfy pouf.
4. Add some WOOD elements, wood root us to earth and has a calming quality, it can be in furniture, but also in decorative items. Rustic elements like acorns, pine-cones, bark, woven baskets, bamboo sticks or branches, and the sort, have the same quality.
5. Add some STONES like the two images on the top of this post or the ones on the left. Seashells work too... again they can be the real thing or in prints.
6. Add WORDS and PHRASES that grounds you, they can be in your art in the walls or in different things around you like the throw pillow above, this stones, prints in your mug, or journal...be creative and surround yourself with what you love and might help you.
7. Add CALMING SMELLS, either by using oils, incense, or candles try to add smells that relax YOU. Typically Lavender, Lemon, Jasmine and Rosemarie are smells associated with relaxing properties. Experiment with different smells and find one that works best for you.
8. Add the element of WATER. It can be in fountains, fish tanks, or even water plants like this bamboo tress in our first image o the top, not only do they bring the element of green plants, but the water element as well.
11. Add what YOU LOVE. These are just guidelines, and if you noticed most of them involves bringing elements of earth like sun, water, rocks, wood, plants in a way that involve all your senses, so feel free to add what you love from this categories. For example, maybe you love winter more than summer, and snow and fresh air actually relaxes you, then add images with nature that bring those thoughts to you. Make your own adjustments and create a happy calm space. Some products are great at bringing different elements together, like in this example to the left, it brings nature, wood (on the branches), sunshine, and a calming phrase.
Remember, even if it is a hallway, closet space, or a bathroom it can be absolutely great. Take your time finding things with this elements that really speak to you, have fun and make it your own... you deserve it!
I remember years ago I had a meeting with a business lawyer. While we were leaving her very elegant beautiful office I noticed that on the corner to the left, to the back of the clients chairs, she had a beautiful decorated corner with relaxing elements, it look very well integrated with the rest of her office but it was clearly an area meant for relaxation. I thought, what a cleaver idea!, once every client would leave, she could just sit on her chair look in front and relax for a moment before calling the next client in!
I hope this helps you. We all been there, from students in final exams season, to job deadlines, to parents with little ones, to busy times helping someone sick, and even normal stressful times like preparing for Christmas, we all can relate so lets all make our own little space to unwind and..... RECOVER.
I leave you with peace, I leave you with Love,
Hi there, Welcome to my blog. I am a mom, a wife an artist, a yoga enthusiast and a bit of a designer in heart. I love to share my ideas and things I learn along the way and I am so glad to see you here.